Princess Yachts issues statement on worker crushed by crane load

Princess Yachts has issued a statement after one of its employees was injured last Tuesday (November 9) and taken to hospital by ambulance. A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said the injured man was trapped under a metal bar and may have sustained life-changing injuries. An air ambulance also responded to the scene.

The man was taken to Derriford Hospital for treatment and there have been no further updates on his condition. : Queen’s royal doctors explain missed Remembrance Sunday engagement The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was called in to investigate the incident.

A spokesperson for HSE, the national regulator for workplace safety said, the executive’s inspectors attended the scene at the Princess Yachts Limited Southyard site in Devonport. “HSE is investigating this matter to identify the cause of this incident and ensure no ongoing risk remains in relation to the work activity being undertaken at the time”, said the regulatory agency’s spokesperson. Initial reports from authorities indicated the injury took place in Devonport Dockyards.

Princess Yachts said it will cooperate with HSE’s investigation but declined to comment further. The company’s spokesperson said in a statement: “The incident will be subject to an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive, as is normal practice for events of this nature, and Princess will co-operate fully with any such investigation. “As the HSE investigation is ongoing it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage.”

This is not the first time the yacht-maker has garnered attention after a worker was injured on site. Get the latest updates on all the things that matter to you most with our bespoke newsletters here. Last month, the company was fined GBP200,000 after pleading guilty to health and safety failures that left an employee injured when his forklift truck overturned.

The injury could have been avoided if safety safeguards were in place, according to statements in Plymouth Magistrates’ Court. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the lifting work had not been properly risk assessed and that employees were not made aware of the appropriate policies. Additionally, the regulator found that there were safer alternate methods available that had not been considered.

More than 3,000 people work in the company’s dockyards, per its website.